Monday, December 21, 2009

Violent Polish Rapist Jailed

From: 4Ni
Sadowski offered the girl's mother money to withdraw her statement
A Polish man has been jailed for ten years after carrying out a vicious sex attack on a young fellow countrywoman.

Kazimierz Sadowski, 32, received an eight years prison term for his part in the repeated rape of a 19-year-old student in July 1999.

The Polish woman, who cannot be named to protect her identity, and female acquaintances were offered a lift by two men after a night out in London.

The driver of the car was Sadowski, from Essex Road, Barking, Essex.

After leaving the other females homes, he and his accomplice subjected the 19-year-old woman to an horrific sexual assault.

She even made a bid to escape on several occasion but was subjected to further violence.

The victim later reported the incident to police, but was unable to name her attackers.

DNA evidence taken from the victim's clothing was unable to track the men, as neither were on the national database.

Despite extensive police inquiries the trail went cold but the suspects DNA was left on the database in case future progress could be made.

On 23 March 2008 Sadowski was arrested for drink driving and a DNA swab was taken and a one in 1 billion match came up on the DNA database.

He was subsequently charged with three counts of rape and two counts of indecent assault and was remanded to appear at Horseferry Road Magistrates Court on 4 December 2008.

Sadowski then breached his bail conditions and absconded back to Poland and on 30 January 2009 he was detained by Polish police under a European arrest warrant.

On his return to the UK Sadowski then instigated a campaign of intimidation against the victim and her family to try and force her to drop the case.

The victim refused and the trial went ahead on 28 September 2009 at Southwark Crown Court.

Sadowski denied culpability claiming, incorrectly, that he had been in a relationship with the victim and that the allegations were as a result of her not being happy that he had ended it.

The jury returned a verdict of guilty on 5 October 2009.

The other man is still wanted and the three female acquaintances, who the victim knew only by first names, never came forward or got in contact with the victim again. Police have been unable to trace them.

DC Claire Watts, from the Metropolitan Police Cold Case Sapphire Investigation Team, said: "Sadowski subjected this woman to a lengthy, terrifying and violent attack.

"The jury rightly saw through his lies and upheld the victim's account of being repeatedly raped and indecently assaulted.

"Today's sentencing reflects the seriousness with which all sexual assaults will be dealt with and is some recognition of the bravery of the victim in continuing to support the prosecution despite the intimidation she and her family were subjected to."