Monday, July 28, 2008

Polish man died after urinating on third rail

London authorities said a Polish tourist died of electrocution when he urinated on a live 750-volt third rail at a city railway station.

The 41-year-old man was found by rail workers after they watched him walk into a recessed area on closed circuit television and fail to emerge, The Daily Mail reported Tuesday.
It took police a week to identify the victim after the tragedy.

A source said: “Perhaps because he was from Poland he had no idea the rail was electrified. His family back home are heartbroken.”

Rail workers said the man, a schoolteacher who was believed to have been visiting London to improve his English, may not have known that some British railway tracks are electrified.

The Vauxhall station has no toilets, the newspaper said.